- BiblioCommons Privacy Statement
- Personal Responsibility
- License and Ownership of the Content
- User Content
- Appropriate Use
- Warning about Content
- Links to Other Sites
- Limitation of Liability
- Disclaimer of Warranties
- Jurisdiction and Forum
- Compliance with Law
- Complete Agreement
- For Residents of Quebec
- Change of Agreement
It is not necessary to register to use the basic search tools on the Service. However, registration allows you to take advantage of the full suite of offerings that comprise the Service, including the ability to receive personalized recommendations, contribute ratings and reviews, and communicate electronically with other users.
BiblioCommons (“We”) believes that it is very important to protect the privacy of your personal information. We have established security measures and controls to ensure that your information is only used as you wish it to be used. Please review the BiblioCommons Privacy Statement for the service you are using; it forms a part of this agreement.
All visitors to the site, registered or unregistered, agree not to:
- disguise the origin of information transmitted through the Service and/or the origin of the computer or website by which you connect to the Service;
- use or access any service, information, application or software available via the Service in a manner not expressly permitted by us;
- access or attempt to access areas of the Service that are restricted to registered users of the Service if you are not a registered user;
- use or access the Service or any of our Systems in a way that, in our judgment, adversely affects the performance or function of the Services or interferes with the ability of authorized parties to access our Systems or Services;
- use any automated system to harvest or capture any BiblioCommons Content from the Service, except as may be specifically permitted using RSS/XML feeds;
- co-brand the Service or portion thereof ("co-branding" means to display a name, logo, trade-mark, or other means of attribution or identification of any party in a manner reasonably likely to give a user the impression that such other party has the right to display, publish, or distribute the Service or Content);
- "frame" the Service or portion thereof so that the Service or Content appears in the same window with a portion of another website.
Registered Users are responsible for ensuring that their accounts are used in keeping with the terms of this agreement.
If you choose to register, you agree to:
- provide and maintain accurate, current and complete personal information;
- maintain the security of your password and username
- not register for more than one account.
The services and content provided on the Service ("BiblioCommons Content") are comprised of materials contributed by other users ("User Content"), and additional service and contents provided by BiblioCommons ("Service Content"). All BiblioCommons Content is protected by law, and its use is governed by the rights described here.
We grant our authorized users a limited, personal, non-transferable, revocable license to access and use the Service and Service Content for personal, non-commercial use.
We grant our authorized users the right to create links to the BiblioCommons Service, provided the link does not portray BiblioCommons, Participating Libraries, affiliates, or their products or services in a false, misleading, derogatory, or otherwise offensive manner, or in a manner that might be construed as an endorsement. We reserve the right to object to or have removed any link that is determined by us, in our sole judgment, to be inappropriate, inconsistent with the Service's or our Participating Libraries image and reputation, or otherwise creates an undue burden on us or the Service.
Registered Users will have the opportunity to upload or publish ("Post") material to the Service such as ratings, reviews, commentary, or conversations ("User Content"). You may keep portions of your User Content private, or you may make it publicly available for the benefit of yourself and others.
Though registered Users retain ownership of any content that they produce, the public sharing of User Content is an important objective of this Service. When you make your User Content public, you grant a license to other Users to make use of that material under an Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike Creative Commons License. This is a license that grants others the non-commercial right to copy, distribute, display, perform the work or create derivative works on the condition that the original author is credited, and that any derivative distribution is licensed in the same way.
You will have the right to use User Content contributed by others according to the license which other Users have attached to that material.
Unless otherwise indicated, when you choose to make your Posted material public, you grant, represent and warrant that you have the right to grant the Ontario Library Association and BiblioCommons an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, royalty-free, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt, perform, adapt, create derivative works from, and distribute such User Content.
The Service makes it possible for you to feature public User Content hosted on BiblioCommons on outside websites or media. This is encouraged. Pages on other websites or media which display User Content hosted or originally hosted on the BiblioCommons Service must provide a link back to BiblioCommons from each extract to an original presentation of that material on a BiblioCommons webpage.
You are solely responsible for the User Content that you Post on or through the Service, or transmit to or share with other Users. Please read carefully the section in this Agreement entitled "Appropriate Use" to ensure that you understand the responsibilities that you incur when you Post User Content.
We respect the intellectual property of others, and We ask our users to do the same. Please do not Post anything that you do not have the right to Post. We may, at our discretion, disable and/or terminate the accounts of users who are repeat infringers.
Notwithstanding your responsibilities, you understand and agree that We may, but are not obligated to, review and delete or remove without notice any User Content at our sole discretion, including without limitation User Content that in our judgment violates this Agreement or which might be offensive or illegal, or that might violate the rights, harm, or threaten the safety of Users or others. We are under no obligation to retain any posted material in public view, and may, at our discretion, remove material from public view for reasons that may include, but are not limited to, redundancy, timeliness, and the potential to offend.
We accept comments, ideas, concepts, or techniques for new services or products through the Service ("Suggestions"). Any Suggestions received will not be considered confidential, We will have no obligation to keep such information confidential, and by submitting any Suggestions, you are granting us an unrestricted, irrevocable, world-wide, royalty-free right to use, communicate, reproduce, publish, display, distribute and exploit such Suggestions in any manner.
The Service is intended to provide a safe, respectful community that welcomes diverse perspectives. In order to maintain this environment:
- Remember that that the Service is used by Users with a broad range of ages and sensibilities.
- You are welcome to Post about why you disagree with another's view, but do not personally attack or defame another person.
- Avoid any behaviour that may restrict or inhibit any other person from using or enjoying the Service, or that may expose Users, Participating Libraries, or BiblioCommons to any harm.
Specifically, you agree without limitation not to use the Service to upload, post, transmit, share, store or otherwise make available any content that:
- is false or misleading;
- is harmful, threatening, unlawful, defamatory, abusive, inflammatory, harassing, vulgar, obscene, fraudulent, invasive, hateful;
- infringes on intellectual property rights;
- constitutes unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, solicitations, promotional materials, "junk mail," "spam," "chain letters," "pyramid schemes," political campaigning, or any other form of solicitation;
- is the private information of any third party, including, without limitation, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, personal identification numbers and credit card numbers;
- contains software viruses, worms, or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, gain illegal access, destroy or limit the functionality of any data, software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment;
- constitutes, encourages or provides instructions for a criminal offence, violates the rights of any party, or that would otherwise create liability or violate any local, provincial, national or international law.
In addition, you may not:
- impersonate any person or entity, or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent yourself, your age or your affiliation with any person or entity;
- use or attempt to use another's account without our authorization, or create a false identity on the Service;
- solicit personal information from anyone under 18 or solicit passwords or personally identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes.
You understand that by using any of the Services, you may encounter content that may be considered offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Nevertheless, you agree to use the Services at your sole risk and you agree that neither BiblioCommons nor any Participating Library shall have any liability to you for any such content that may be found to be offensive, indecent, or objectionable.
We do not verify the accuracy, truthfulness or reliability of any information Posted by users, endorse any opinions, or confirm the credentials of any Users who may Post information. You should always exercise caution and not rely or act upon any information available on the Service, particularly information that relates to your legal rights or health.
We may, at any time, use automated translation tools to make the Service or portions of it available in languages other than English. Such tools have significant limitations and the English version of any translated content is considered the definitive version.
Neither BiblioCommons nor Participating Libraries make any representations with respect to the Service, including any representations related to results that may be obtained by using the Service. All use of the Service is at the sole risk of the User.
You agree to use the Service in strict compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and in a fashion that does not, in our sole judgment, negatively reflect on the goodwill or reputation of BiblioCommons or Participating Libraries. You shall take no actions which would cause BiblioCommons or Participating Libraries to be in violation of any laws, rulings or regulations applicable to BiblioCommons or Participating Libraries.
Without specific notice to you, We may change, supplement, delete or update any portion of the Service; or establish or change, at any time, general practices and limits concerning our products and services.
You agree that We, in our sole discretion, may terminate or suspend your use of the Service and Content at any time regardless of whether the Service remains accessible by others. We may discontinue the Service at any time without liability to you.